A woman who received an electric shock from a faulty freezer at work has won compensation for her injuries.

Julie Humphries, 34, was working in a juice bar in Meadowhall, Sheffield. She received the shock in February 2009, when she rested her hand on top of one of the freezers while collecting produce. As a result, she experienced severe headaches and pain in her shoulders and neck.

At the time of the accident she had to have a week off work. However, she still experiences bouts of pain that mean she has to take further sickness absence.

An investigation into the accident revealed that the freezer was faulty. It also emerged that the store manager had known about the malfunction, but had failed either to inform anyone about the problem or to switch off the appliance. This basic health and safety error cost him his job.

The accident has had a detrimental impact on Mrs Humphries’ life: she now finds that she is not as active as she used to be and will probably have to take more time off work as her symptoms persist.

The owners of the juice bar admitted liability and agreed to settle the claim out of court for an undisclosed amount.

If you have been injured in an accident at work because your employer has failed to take reasonable steps to eliminate or minimise obvious risks to employees’ health and safety, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us for advice on how to proceed with your claim.