The process of ending a marriage or civil partnership is often an emotionally challenging period and can have a financial impact on all family members. However, there comes a point in many relationships when couples decide that a divorce or dissolution of a partnership is necessary.
As your divorce lawyers, Ward & Rider’s expert team are here to guide you and help you through the process, with a view to putting your best interests first.
Our specialist divorce lawyers will listen to your needs and will outline your options at every stage of the divorce process, empowering you with the information you need to make your own informed decisions. At a period when you may be under an enormous amount of personal strain, we will assist you in making sound judgments and help you deal with the whole process as efficiently as you can, allowing you to focus your energy on all the other repercussions of a relationship breakdown.
Legal Reasons for Marriage Breakdown
To get a divorce in England and Wales, you need to show that you have been married for more than a year and that the marriage has broken down. The marriage must have broken down for one of these reasons:
- Your spouse has committed adultery and you find it intolerable to live together
- Your spouse has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live together
- You have been separated for two years and your spouse agrees to divorce
- You have been separated for five years
- Your spouse deserted you more than two years ago
- Your Ward & Rider family lawyer will explain to you the steps which you will need to take, and give you a clear estimate of how long the divorce should take. The average time for a divorce is normally 4-6 months.
Our expert divorce lawyers are also experienced in obtaining less common decrees in marriage breakdown such as Judicial Separation Petitions and Nullity Decrees.
For separating couples we can advise you on how best to protect your interests in the home and the finances (see Property & Financial Settlements) and the rights of any children (see Children Matters). This applies equally to same-sex relationships.
We are fully aware that for many the end of a relationship presents certain financial pressures.
We use modern and efficient working practices to keep costs to a minimum. We will give you a clear estimate of costs and if new costs arise we will keep you informed every step of the way.
Not using an experienced divorce lawyer can be a false economy and we always aim to ensure our clients achieve the best financial outcome possible.
So contact us now for a FREE initial consultation with our divorce lawyers – we put your best interests first!