Trusted providers of legal services for over 70 years

Do I have Parental Responsibility?

Divorce & Family

A mother automatically has parental responsibility for her children. That means she has certain rights to determine where her children live, which schools they attend and how, when and if they access medical treatment.

A father only automatically has parental responsibility if he is married to the mother and/or if the child was born after 1 December 2003 and he is named on the birth certificate as the father.

If a father wished to obtain parental responsibility he has the following options:

  • Marry the child’s mother (which is not feasible if the relationship is breaking down)
  • Enter into a voluntary Parental Responsibility Agreement with the mother
  • Obtain a Parental Responsibility Order from the Court


Our specialist family lawyers are here to help you. We are committed to providing you with the very best client service and to ensure that you are fully informed of your legal rights and options during a relationship breakdown. Do not hesitate to call us for a free initial consultation.

Similar questions:

How should Wills, Trusts, Estates or Inheritance Disputes be approached?
What does the Certainty Register do?
How is a Will made?

Still have questions?

One of our expert solicitors would be happy to provide answers. Get in touch with Ward & Rider Solicitors today to speak to us, or to book a consultation.