A man has won compensation of £187,500 after his wife died of a disease caused by exposure to asbestos.
Yvonne Moaby died of mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs, aged 66. Her husband, John, had worked as an electrician, repairing and stripping out storage heaters, and she had come into contact with asbestos dust when she washed his overalls, which were often covered with the deadly substance. She was first diagnosed with the disease in 2009 and passed away in May 2010.
Mesothelioma is one of a number of conditions that can result from exposure to asbestos. Symptoms do not usually appear until 30 to 40 years after the initial exposure, and there is no cure. The dangers associated with asbestos have been known since the 1960s, when it was discovered that large numbers of asbestos workers had been disabled or killed by asbestosis.
The couple managed to secure an interim payment of £50,000 before Mrs Moaby died. They used the money to go on two cruise holidays before she became too unwell to travel. A full out of court settlement has since been reached with Mr Moaby’s former employer.
“Employers who fail to prevent exposure to toxins or carcinogens risk action being taken against them if the exposure harms the health of employees or their families,” says Jason Claridge. “We can advise on making compensation claims for all kinds of industrial injuries.”
If you or someone you know has been affected by an asbestos related disease, it may be possible to claim compensation. Contact us for advice.